HOW TO MAKE STEAK FAJITA ROLL UPS
Recipe by: Hey Grill Hey by Susie Bulloch
There are a couple of steps to make this recipe all come together:
- Marinate the steak. The thin sliced steak takes on all of the yummy marinade flavors in just 2 hours.
- Grill the vegetables. This gives you the perfect tender crisp bite inside the roll ups.
- Assemble the roll ups. Veggies and cheese on the inside, yummy steak on the outside.
- Grill the steak fajita rolls. Start your roll ups on the grill with the seam side down to hold everything together.
Enjoy!! Serve hot off the grill with tortillas, rice, beans, and all of your favorite fajita fixings.
These steak fajita rolls were such a hit come dinner time. It’s like taco night on freakin’ steroids without the thick neck and anger issues. We all ate them in different ways. One person rolled them up inside a tortilla for the ultimate steak burrito with the perfect portions of steak and onions/peppers/cheese in every bite. And yet another used the steak as the taco shell and just ate them street food style leaning over a napkin.
- 2 lbs thinly sliced sirloin tip steak
- 1 yellow onion (sliced into strips)
- 1 green bell pepper (sliced into strips)
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced into strips)
- 2 cups colby jack cheese (shredded)
FOR THE MARINADE
- ½ cup fresh lime juice (about 4 limes)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic (finely diced)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Marinade the steak. Combine all of the ingredients for the marinade in a large zip top bag or other container. Add the steak to the marinade and stir well to be sure the marinade in covering all of the slices. Allow the steak to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 4.
Grill the vegetables. Preheat your grill to medium high heat (about 400 degrees F). Place the onions and peppers in a grill basket and grill for 5-6 minutes, or until the edges of the onions are starting to brown and the peppers begin to soften.
Assemble the roll ups. While the vegetables are grilling, remove the steak from the marinade and shake off any excess. Lay the steaks flat on a large work surface and top each with about 1/3 cup of the shredded cheese. Remove the vegetables from the grill (leave the grill on) and divide evenly among each of the roll ups. Roll each steak around the cheese and vegetables and secure each roll with a toothpick.
Grill the Roll Ups. Place each steak roll on the grill, seam side down, and grill for 3-4 minutes per side (about 12-15 minutes total.
Rest and serve. Remove from the grill and allow the steak rolls to rest for 4-5 minutes before serving with your favorite fajita toppings and sides.